My first impression of the Terminator DAC, with only minutes of warm-up time, was ‘wow’. Although the unit was fully broken-in, it needs to stay powered for at least 24 hours to give its best, but even cold it was a big leap forward over the excellent Moon 380D it replaced. The Terminator’s sound was big, enveloping, warm yet detailed, quite luscious in, dare I say it – an analog kinda way.
However you want to cook it, the Denafrips Terminator is just a fantastic DAC. The bottom end has weight and solidity and underpins the music giving it a solid foundation and a nice ‘live’ vibe. If you had to pick it apart you might say that its bass is more tube-like than solid-state. More tubby and natural than taught and clinical. Some would prefer one over the other, take your pick. Full Review Here
Denafrips Terminator DAC – first version of this incredible DAC with the upgraded DSP for sale. Ask about our Denafrips GAIA DDC as a partner for the Terminator – available for $1450 or a discounted package price of $4550.
DAC is in Very Nice condition. Some light marks on the finish due to another component sitting on top, clean front plate. This unit presents very well and is a bargain at this price.
Many prefer this DAC over the more analytic Terminator Plus.
Features Summary Of The Denafrips Terminator DAC
- Up to native DSD256 (USB and I2S inputs only)
- PCM 384 kHz / 24-bit (USB and I2S)
- Up to PCM 192 kHz / 24-bits on the remaining inputs.
- Upsampling mode to PCM 384 kHz and DSD 256
- Mute and Phase buttons (red LEDs on the left will flash sequentially)
- Mode button allows for configurable HDMI I2S pin-outs for source compatibility (there isn’t an industry standard for I2S).
- 2 x Coaxial: RCA and BNC (75 ohms)
- 1 x TOSLink
- 1 x SUB
- 2 x AES/EBU
- 3 x I2S: HDMI (LVDS), RJ45 (LVDS), RJ45 (VLCMOS)
- RCA – 2.3 Vrms, 625 ohms
- Fully Balanced XLR – 4.6 Vrms, 1,250 ohms